Tuesday, 17 March 2015

Simplicity 2549


After some rather fruitful visits to Wolverhampton's fabric market (Tuesday mornings) I had added some lovely lengths of fabric to my stash.  With numerous weddings this year I wanted a dress pattern that would be suitable.  The Simplicity 2549 view A fitted the bill.  As usual I started by comparing my bust, waist and hips measurements to the pattern. My bust was a size 12, with the waist and hips a size 14 - ignoring the fact that this felt far too big I graded my pattern between the two sizes by drawing in a gently curve between the two sizes from the bust to waist measurements.  I then traced my new adjusted pattern on to baking paper (so much cheaper than fancy dressmakers tracing paper - especially if you get it in the poundshop!)

Simplicity 2549 - inside encased waistband
The material was a pain to cut as it was silky, so lots of pins were needed!  There was also a contrast piece that I decided to cut the waistband from and I decided against the bow.  The pattern had a lovely encased waistband inside the dress, so it means that there are not many raw edges on show - took a bit of time, as needed neat hand stitching, but worth it.  I'm not entirely sure on the puffiness of the sleeves once set in, but perhaps this will calm down after a few washes.  I used the Sew Over It Tea Dress step to put in my invisible zip and didn't sew up the back seem until after I had fixed the zip into the dress.  This way I can adjust the fit of the dress and take in any extra fabric to allow for a snug fit - I get my handy husband to pin me into the dress, draw a chalk link, unpin me - then I pin in the zip to double check, before finally sewing in the invisible zip. I finished the skirt and sleeves hem by hand, as I didn't want a line of stitches to ruin the look of the lovely fabric.

This is a lovely pattern and I shall definitely make it again - just need to sort out my hat!


No comments:

Post a Comment