Friday, 9 May 2014

Crochet Challenge: Step One - Hook Holder

One of my New Year's resolutions is to learn to crochet.  I've decided that the optimum time to start this project is during our holiday to Spain.  As we are only taking hand luggage, I thought I should get some bamboo crochet hooks - I didn't want my metal ones confiscated during check in!


I also didn't want to spend a fortune, so found a set on Amazon that looked okay and the number of positive reviews outweighed the negative ones! They arrived in a rather horrible plastic wallet, thus my first step with my Crochet Challenge was to make a hook holder.  I made this up as I went along, cutting out three rectangles to form the back, front and flap of the holder from the lining and cute outer fox fabric.

I decided against lining the holder, maybe some lightweight lining would add a little structure, but it doesn't seem to be too flimsy so far.  Next time I am going to draw on my lines for the pockets - after taking out all my pins, it seems that I really can't estimate 2cm gaps, so I've ended up with 14 pockets rather than the 12 I was aiming for!

I think I may have to make one for my double-pointed knitting needles that float around the bottom of my knitting bag.

I am going to attempt to make Attic 24's Summer Garden Granny Square Blanket - hoping I haven't bitten off more than I can chew for my first crochet attempt! I'm going to use Stylecraft Classique Cotton in 9 different shades with a cream border - which I hope will give a soft but durable blanket.

Step One of the Crochet Challenge Complete!


No comments:

Post a Comment