I'd bought the Sewaholic Crescent Skirt pattern a couple of Christmases ago and never quite got round to making it, despite carrying around the fabric measurements and notions list in my purse! I bought my pattern from a fab sewing website - Backstitch - that stock all sorts of wonderful patterns. I'd bought the Crescent Skirt because it had pockets (hooray!) and also stated it was perfect for pear shapes. I went with view C - the longer of all the versions as I didn't want it to feel too short. I picked a small cord fabric from the treasure trove of a website Plush Addict and also some contrasting cotton for the lining of the waistband and pockets. I bought 2m of the cord and 1m of the cotton - the pattern asks for 2.3 of 115cm wide or 2.1 of 150cm wide - I could have bought half a meter of the cotton and probably got away with 1.5m of the cord.
As it is an American pattern, I had to work out what was an equivalent to a UK size 12 - I followed the US size 8 line. When cutting out the pieces, although I followed the pattern piece markings (ie grain line and cut on fold) I didn't follow the pattern piece layout, so I could squeeze in pattern pieces and have some fabric left over for other projects. Another aspect of the Sewing Bee is alteration - I'm not confident enough to alter patterns, so often pick the size most similar to myself and then can make small alterations whilst sewing. This trial and error takes time, especially if it is done well - time, is a precious commodity on Sewing Bee and I think some of the challenges don't give them a fair time scale. I know that 'professional' sewers may be able to knock up the pattern in the two hours give, but isn't the point of the programme that these are amateurs?
|All cut out and ready to go!|
|Ric Rac embellishment and colour contrast pockets|
I couldn't quite understand the instructions on how to fix the bottom of the waistband lining, so did my own thing and used some matching bias binding - I know, disapproving comments would be had on GBSB! But that is the main point of home sewing - not everything goes to plan and also sometimes you get a better result by doing something different. At the end of the day, the home sewer is making items for themselves and family/friends and the desire is for a garment that fits the bill and suits them rather than a technically perfect garment that follows the given instructions to the letter. The zip I put in was slightly shorter than recommend, which means a bit of wiggle to get the skirt on - next time I will certainly get a longer one. I also added some lace trim to the bottom of the skirt to finish it off.
|Lace Trim to finish the edge|
|One finished Sewaholic Crescent Skirt|
I enjoy watching the GBSB and hope that it will continue, but feel there needs to be a shake up of the format before it can capture the imagination of the British public in the same way that the GBBO has.
|Tea and cake fuelled sewing!|