Monday, 3 February 2014

January's Garment - Doris Shell Top

So I have completed my first hand made garment of 2014  - just another eleven to go!

Apart from the tank top I knitted my husband last year for his birthday (which he has only worn once and I'm sure that was only round the house!), the biggest things I'd knitted were baby clothes.  After being given this lovely book for Christmas, I decided I had to try knitting something for myself.


As I wanted to start knitting straight away I thought I better use some wool from my stash.  So I carefully matched up the tension needed to wool I had - I even worked out how to make it match better by going down a few needle sizes. The one thing I forgot to match up was the weight of the yarn.  The pattern I chose (Doris Shell Top, pp. 24-25) used mohair and knitted double - so I naturally started knitting double with my chosen wool. . . I only realised half way up the front that I would end up with a significant heavier top than the pattern suggested.  I couldn't bear to undo everything and start again knitting with it single stranded (although this did mean I had to purchase more wool - thankfully I managed to find some as it is a discontinued yarn).

I had a few difficulties with the pattern - especially the mistake in the pattern, which left no space to knit the boarder on the back!

SHAPE ARMHOLES
Cast on 8 sts at beg of next 2 rows.
Cont in patt until back measures 48 [50, 52]cm/19 [19¾, 20½]in, ending on patt row 5 or 11.
Next row P37 45, 45, place marker, (k1, p1) 21 [21, 25] times, k1, place 2nd marker; patt to end.
Cont in patt but working sts between markers in moss stich.
Work until back measures 48 [50, 52]cm/19 [19¾, 20½]in, ending after a p row.
 


So after some futile searching online, I emailed the publisher.  I did eventually get a response and the corrected pattern, however, I had ploughed ahead with my own interpretation as my January deadline was fast approaching.  Thus my boarder is narrower than it should be, hopefully this doesn't look too odd on the front.  The correction for the pattern is as follows:

SHAPE ARMHOLES
Cast on 8 sts at beg of next 2 rows.
Cont in patt until back measures 48 [50, 52]cm/19 [19¾, 20½]in, ending on patt row 5 or 11.
Next row P37 45, 45, place marker, (k1, p1) 21 [21, 25] times, k1, place 2nd marker; patt to end.
Cont in patt but working sts between markers in moss st.
Work 2.5cm/1in, ending after a p row.

As my wool is a heavier weight than it should be I didn't add the edging on the sleeves.  I started to - but it was just a bit too chunky and looked silly, so I've left them plain.  If I was knitting this again, I would add 2 more inches to the pattern, as I feel it slightly on the short side for my liking. Overall, I am please with my top and am lining up the next project from the book for March, as I already have my February Garment planned (skirt sewing awaits).

No comments:

Post a Comment