In order to match the dresses, I decided to make my bridesmaids handbags. I used a Emmaline bags pattern - they are fab patterns to follow with full colour picture instructions. I also managed to track down some of the 'soft and stable' that was recommended - this made all the difference to the overall finish of the bags. I also added some pink sequins to edge the bag - but forgot to take a photo after this addition - I'll update if I can get a photo!
Bridesmaid and Bridal Bouquets
To save on pennies and because of the time of year, we decided to use silk flowers. This meant that I could have peonies in my bouquet, despite them being out of season. I used the bouquet holders to make the arranging easier. To sparkle up the bouquets I added in wired beads from the floristry section in hobbycraft. To the Bridesmaid bouquets I added some pink gauze to disguise the white handle. I bought the flowers from a variety of places - eBay, garden centres, hobbycraft and ikea - they all had the pass the 'photography test' i.e. did they look good and potentially real when photographed. It also meant that we didn't have to worry about someone collecting the bouquets before the wedding.
Buttonholes and Corsages
Again these were made using silk flowers, floristry tape and sparkles. I also added a brooch back for ease of wearing. I made pink rose buttonholes for the men and then white and turquoise corsages for the two mums. Although I though the pink roses were slightly too big, they looked fine on the day and added the splash of colour to which their main purpose was.
After we had decided that our cake would have a nautical theme, it made sense to make our own Blue Peter ship for the minifigures to sit on. In keeping with the lego theme, we made our Blue Peter ship out of lego, which was then painted blue to keep the consistent colour. The masts were added dowelling rods with cardboard sails and painted the same colour. The bride and groom from the wedding invite were added to the ship as a finishing touch. I also found a perfect cake top from a fab etsy shop that makes laser cut acrylic toppers - although we did incur a customs charge (grr!) yet worth every penny :) For the third cake I made a 'rock' out of icing for the save the date mermaid to sit upon.
The wedding cake went through a rather lengthy design and production process with many different ideas which evolved throughout the year. We decided that we definitely wanted the inside of the cake to be special and that we would have three different layers and in the traditional three tier style. The top tier was a fruit cake that my mum made for us. The second tier was a lemon cake and the third a chocolate cake. I used the Jane Hornby's Simple Wedding Cake recipes from the BBC Goodfood website. The chocolate cake was amazing and I would highly recommend it - both in production and taste. The lemon cake was a bit underwhelming and dry - but that might have been my own doing through the adding of food colouring.
The lemon cake took its inspiration from a rainbow cake - but in our wedding colours. This worked out okay, but I think the problem with these types of cakes it that the colouring knocks any natural flavour out and also the thinness means they don't really rise as much as a whole cake might. I think stripy cakes need some work to get them as tasty as they are spectacular - maybe layering up raw cake mix then cooking, rather than cooking separate layers? However, it did look 'ooooh' which in my book is top priority.
We had thought that due to the surprise insides, that the outsides would be quite plain . . . then I watched the Great British Bake Off final and saw Frances' amazing confetti wedding cake and decided we needed some more decoration. So the challenge then was to try and bring my (then) fiancé's idea of water cascading down the cakes into reality. I decided on making the Christmas Cake icing that dries hard and split it into three colours (white, light blue and blue). Then I spiked on the 'sea' to the cake, starting with the blue, layering up with light blue and then white. Next out came the glitter - every cake should have copious amounts of glitter on! We were rather pleased with the resulting effect and although it was a bit different to your traditional wedding cake, it matched with our themes.