Wednesday, 4 December 2013

Wedding Dress Part 3

So despite a last minute trawl of haberdasheries to match some gold trim (didn't manage to find any) I finished my wedding dress on time.  I bought the vintage pattern ages ago - before we even got engaged (although I did ask permission to buy it first).  The pattern was complete and although some pieces had been cut out at some point, it was in good condition.  I thought that it would be perfect:


Simplicity 1461

However, once I had made up a practice version and tried it on - I wasn't too keen and thought that the neck line and shoulders didn't really suit (so not very keen, that I don't seem to have a photo!).  So out came the pattern drafting books and I created a new top section of the pattern - with a sweet heart neck line and then shoulder straps. 







After a mini practice, this seemed like a much better shape :)

The construction of the dress was detailed in Part 1 and Part 2.  So I will pick up where they left off - using some cord I made my own button loops, by sewing in a continuous 'S' shape to make enough loops to the corresponding buttons. As this was attached to a piece of ribbon I could then insert it between the lining and the dress fabric.  Then I had the job of sewing on all the buttons (28 - who thought that was a good idea!)






I also bought some lace from a fabulous etsy shop (although be careful with UK import taxes, only items under £15 value get through without an additional charge!) - always a risk trying to match colours via the computer screen, but my hunch proved right and they matched perfectly.  After playing about with different locations of the lace, I decided on edging the top and down one side at the back, and also across the straps.  This addition really finished off my dress - I also added some gold ric rac along the edge of the skirt just to give the skirt a bit of sparkle. 



To make the skirt stick out, I bought a petticoat, which my mum edged in pink to match the lining.  And we also had pink wellington boots to match - Which were a good foresight, as we had a bit of a soggy day in parts!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Well done. PS - love the addition of the wellies

    ReplyDelete