However, once I had made up a practice version and tried it on - I wasn't too keen and thought that the neck line and shoulders didn't really suit (so not very keen, that I don't seem to have a photo!). So out came the pattern drafting books and I created a new top section of the pattern - with a sweet heart neck line and then shoulder straps.
After a mini practice, this seemed like a much better shape :)
The construction of the dress was detailed in Part 1 and Part 2. So I will pick up where they left off - using some cord I made my own button loops, by sewing in a continuous 'S' shape to make enough loops to the corresponding buttons. As this was attached to a piece of ribbon I could then insert it between the lining and the dress fabric. Then I had the job of sewing on all the buttons (28 - who thought that was a good idea!)
I also bought some lace from a fabulous etsy shop (although be careful with UK import taxes, only items under £15 value get through without an additional charge!) - always a risk trying to match colours via the computer screen, but my hunch proved right and they matched perfectly. After playing about with different locations of the lace, I decided on edging the top and down one side at the back, and also across the straps. This addition really finished off my dress - I also added some gold ric rac along the edge of the skirt just to give the skirt a bit of sparkle.
To make the skirt stick out, I bought a petticoat, which my mum edged in pink to match the lining. And we also had pink wellington boots to match - Which were a good foresight, as we had a bit of a soggy day in parts!