Friday, 13 September 2013

Mrs Beaton's Blackberry Gin

As you may have already read in my previous post - I have an abundance of blackberries in our communal garden.  As no one else seemed to be picking them, I thought I'd try a recipe for Blackberry Gin that I found in the back of my updated Mrs Beaton's recipe book - another bargain from The Works.

Ingredients
800g Blackberries
200g Caster Sugar
600ml Gin (or Vodka)

1.2 l Kilner Jar


Wash the blackberries and transfer into your jar - cover with the sugar and give it a good shake - then add the gin.  This has to be kept in a dark place for a week and shaken every day for seven days.  This should enable all the sugar to dissolve, after which it is left alone in a dark place for 2-3 months before straining.  I have various receptacles in our mini cellar awaiting Christmas, when I will bottle it up for presents!  Once bottled up - I will update this post. Now to hunt down some pretty bottles.

2 comments:

  1. sounds good, the blackberries have been astounding this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - there have been some really big juicy ones in my garden - looking forward to making a second batch of jam next weekend. Think I may freeze some as crumble and pie mixture for the winter :)

    ReplyDelete