Monday, 5 August 2013

Kestrel's Spring Sewing Swap

Back in June I took part in a Spring Sewing swap organised by 'Kestrel Makes'.  This swap appealed to me especially for the fabric element of the swap - I wasn't disappointed.  My swap partner was Lucy - have a peek over at 'Lucy in the Clouds' for her blog - I especially like her short and sweet 'My week in verbs' posts.

I missed the postman, so had to pick my parcel up from the sorting office in the morning before I caught my train (I don't think I have ever had slower customer service!) After sprinting from the Sorting Office I made my train - couldn't even wait till I got to work to open my huge parcel.  The businessman sitting next to me was most bemused as I unwrapped my goodies - in my excitement, I forgot to take my normal photographs, so all photos are taken by Lucy and she kindly sent me a copy to use.

 
My goodies were wrapped up in the prettiest small flower fabric and tied up with red ric rac - such a lovely idea.  I am going to use the fabric as a lining for this bag pattern - I have had it for ages, so now just need to find some striking hard wearing material to use as the outer layer.  Inside were various haberdashery items - buttons, lace, ribbon - all squirreled away in my M&S biscuit tins, just waiting for that perfect project.  Also included was a cute liberty mouse pin cushion - you can never have enough pins and therefore need numerous pin cushion - he has come in useful whilst pinning my practice wedding dress!  There was also a small mending kit, which I popped in my handbag, such a good replacement for a tiny 'match stich book' style hotel one I had in there previously.  The final part of the parcel also caused much confusion - a strange looking metal ruler - the ladies of IG helped me work out what to do and is very useful for checking the hem when I'm sewing, as my gauge on my sewing machine is just a series of lines rather than specific measurements.


The parcel of goodies that I sent to Lucy included a lovely yard of fabric, which so nearly didn't get packed up I loved it so much. I also included some edging, an tiny M&S tin with chocolates in (with added felt squares to turn it into a needle case), a couple of vibrant spools of embroidery thread (as I'd spied on Lucy's blog that she wanted to have a go at free machine embroidery), a mini Cath Kidston 'make and sew' booklet and a rather squashed happy hippo.  All was well received and Lucy has blogged about her parcel here.      


1 comment:

  1. What lovely gifts both sent and received. I must find more swaps, as I adore thinking and putting the parcels together xx

    ReplyDelete