Tuesday, 16 April 2013

International Craft Swap


 photo swaplogo_zpsce231688.jpg


About this time last year I took part in my first ever swap, organised by Rachel at House of Pinheiro and Charlotte at Sew Far Sew Good. It was a pin cushion swap and you can read about it here.  This years theme was 'nautical' and a given colour scheme of red white and blue.  I was paired up with Daisy who runs Flo & Co Cakes a rather scrummy looking cupcakery in Bath. After swapping emails and telling each other a bit more about ourselves, in order for us to have some inspiration of what to make, I made my decision - a tea cosy.


I made a simple blue and white stripe tea cosy (with lining!) - although starting knitting on needles that were really far too big - so it was a very generous two pint size! Then I purused Ravelry for a lobster knitting pattern and found this great free one here. I knitted it up and although had a few difficulties working out the construction of the tail, I was rather pleased with the end result. To bring a bit more red into the tea cosy design I cut out some red fishes and stitched them swimming around the base of the cosy. I've called this tea cosy 'Francois and the little fishes'.

For my first designing and knitting of my own tea cosy, I was rather pleased with the finished result.  I wrapped it up with a packet of posh biscuits and some loose leaf jasmine tea. After careful packaging, to make sure that it would be within the new 'small' package of Royal Mail price hikes, it didn't cost a fortune to send either.  From the resulting emails I received from Daisy, I think I can safely say that it was a hit!


My return package was just as lovely, although silly postman delivered it to next door by accident! Made from some lovely nautical inspired fabric I had two hanging hearts, that immediately went up in the alcoves on my fireplace. My little extra present was spotty paper chains - perfect accessory to my Tea Party Box (yes, I actually have a box full of teapots, cake stands, crockery, paper doilies etc) just now need an excuse to throw a tea party!


A big thank you to Rachel at House of Pinheiro for organising such a fab swap!

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous tea cosy you are very talented. I like the hearts you recieved. What a fantastic idea to have a tea party box. I love it . Melanie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed designing and knitting this tea cosy, think I may have to make one for myself! The tea party box has occurred as I don't have a dresser at the moment, so can't display all my lovely tea pots - think I need a bigger house! Amanda xxx

      Delete