Monday, 25 March 2013

Cake Pops!

I bought my Cake Pops book two Christmases ago and hadn't quite plucked up enough courage to have a go at making them.  After volunteering to bake something yummy for my brother and his girlfriend's goodbye tea party and the only request was 'something small', I decided the time had come to make some Cake Pops.

I had already bought a half sphere silicone tray, as even with my sweet tooth I didn't like the idea of a cake and icing mixture that you had to roll yourself and thought this ready made mini half cake pops would be the way forward.  I used my favourite chocolate cake recipe from Rachel Allen's Bake - as it is a rather firm and chocolatey cake.  As I only had a half sphere mould, I experimented with putting different amounts of mixture in the cases - it turned out that overfilling the half spheres was the best way, as the top could be levelled off before sticking together to make a whole sphere.

Overfilled half spheres

Cake Pops assembled!
I tracked down some candy melts in Hobbycraft and used it to stick the halves together  before securing the sticks in the balls.  Then I had to wait for it all to set - sped up this bit by creating space in the fridge and popping them in whilst I had a cuppa.  As the icing sets very quickly, I only did a small bowlful at one time, rather than melting the whole bag. Although don't let water get anywhere near the melted candy melts as everything congeals and sets rock hard!
Oops!
The best method of covering was to dunk the cake pop in (using a mini spatula to cover any gaps if getting near the end of the mixture!) and pull straight out again.  Gently rotate the cake pop gently tapping your wrist of the hand holding the cake pop with the other hand to get rid of excess.  If you twizzle and tap the cake pop directly on to the bowl, icing mixture goes everywhere and the cake pop is highly likely to fall off the stick!  I then covered in hundreds and thousands before sticking in a slab of polystyrene to set - again helped along by the fridge.

I also made my own cake pop stand using a small cereal box which I stuffed with the polystyrene.  I used a bread knife to cut it to size - works fairly well, although be prepared for statically charged bits sticking to every surface! After the cereal box had been stuffed and the end taped up, I wrapped the box in some pretty wrapping paper and poked holes in the top with a knitting needle.  When creating the holes, make sure that you know how big your cake pops are, in order to measure how far apart you need to punch the holes.   


No comments:

Post a Comment