Thursday, 21 February 2013

Salted Caramel Brownie

My Valentines Day celebrations went as far as a card and a cake - I'd rather have random pressies throughout the year than lots on Valentines Day, it all just feels a bit commercial! After this new recipe for Salted Caramel Brownie popped up on Smitten Kitchen I knew I had to make it.

My first attempt at the salted caramel didn't quite work out - I think I cooked the mixture for too long so I made a sort of brittle (think Dime Bar!) rather than a chewy caramel.  It was yummy - but I didn't think it would work being cooked again in the brownie, so I made a second batch, which was much more successful.

First Batch - Dime Bar imitation!
Second Batch - Gooey and pliable 


For the bake, I used a silicone heart shaped 'tin' and the recently discovered 'baking' mode on my electric oven.  I got a better rise and lovely top on the brownie than I usually do with bakes - so the oven mode makes a difference.  However, I think next time I need to put my silicone cases on a baking tray to stop the singed bottom of my cakes.



The Brownie was delicious - the salt in the recipe really makes the brownie not as sickly sweet as some recipes can be - definitely going on the 'bake again' list.


My Valentines Daffodils have finally started to open - cheering up the sitting room! So much better than roses :)



No comments:

Post a Comment