Tuesday, 26 June 2012

Rhubarb Snacking Cake

So after liberating a huge pile of rhubarb from my boyfriend's brother's garden this weekend, I finally had a chance to make this delicious Rhubarb Snacking Cake that was published on Smitten Kitchen a few weeks ago.  A plus side to the recipe is the enormous amount of rhubarb it requires - over 500g!


Although I've never heard of a snacking cake before - the title fits the description perfectly - it has a sponge base, a layer of rhubarb and a crumble top.  The sponge is flavoured with lemon zest and ginger; my sponge had a bit more of a 'lemon drizzle cake quality' to it as the lemon I squeezed had rather more than the recommended tablespoon to soak the rhubarb in.  Although this made the cake slightly on the soggy side - it was a yummy addition.  I think next time I would add more ginger, as I couldn't taste it - or maybe even some crystallised ginger in within the rhubarb.  On top of the sponge layer was the layer of rhubarb coated in sugar and lemon juice.  Topping everything was the crumble mixture - which I thought wasn't going to be enough to cover the rhubarb, but it was fine and I'm glad I didn't make some more, as the balance was perfect.


The plus side to the recipe is that it is included within the recipe to try a piece :-) so I didn't feel too bad for tucking into a piece this morning, need to follow every step of the recipe to the letter!!  This will definitely be going on the make-again-rhubarb list. See what else I have made with rhubarb . . . rhubarb and ginger cake and rhubarb and vanilla jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment