Friday, 15 June 2012

Pin Cushion Swap

After having my blog for about a week, I stumbled upon a 'Pin Cushion Swap' (via Mollie Makes) being run by House of Pinheiro and Sew Far Sew Good. As I don't own a pin cushion this seemed like a perfect swap to be my first crafty-internet-blog-swap.  So I submitted a bit about myself and my address and awaited news of my buddy I was to be paired with.  I was paired with the lovely Katy, she was also new to blogging, check out her blog here.  Katy was the more organised of the two of us and got in contact with me first, asking if there were any colours to avoid/choose - at the end of her email she mentioned that she liked peacock colours.  I had already been researching pin cushions to make and had found a really cute toadstool one, that I had set my heart on making.  However, as soon as I read 'peacock colours' I knew that I had to find and make a peacock pin cushion!

I found this great tutorial for a crochet peacock pin cushion.  I'm not really a big fan of crochet, never manage to get the right number of stitches, so I decided to make the body by blending two turquoise bluey-green fluffs together and needle felt the body.  I then attached wings and tail cut from felt with gold ric rac trimming.  The tail was made with two pieces of felt and some wadding to give it extra squidgyness to stick pins in, just in case sticking pins into the peacock body felt cruel! The main body was glued on to a cotton reel that had been encased in yellow felt - I didn't quite get the balance right, so a blue tack base was needed (sorry Katy!).  I thought he still needed some decoration, so I pinned a tummy of pearly sequins to give him extra flamboyance.  The final touches were to include some pearl headed pins to create the 'feathers' on the top of his head and then the others were added to the tail - ready for use.  I almost couldn't bring myself to parcel him up and send him on his postal adventure . . .

But the promise of being sent my own surprise pin cushion in the post helped me send him on his way.  A few days later I also received a parcel in the post from Katy. I wasn't not sure what to expect, although I did know that she had got her inspiration after reading my blog, opened the parcel to find a Blue Peter badge pin cushion - it is AMAZING and so very 'me'.

Such neat stitching and perfectly embroidered 'Here's one I made earlier' around the sides! I hope the pictures do the pin cushion justice. I look forward to taking part in my next crafty swap :)
Not sure sticking every-single-pin-I-could-possibly-find was the best idea, as it now looks some sort of strange Blue Peter hedgehog!


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful pincushion! Such an adorable peacock. Loving your blue peter one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mad Moose - think I shall be making a peacock one for myself at some point! Shall very much enjoy using my Blue Peter pin cushion :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda!
    Finally posted my blog about the swap here http://allthingsbrightandbeautifuljune.wordpress.com/2012/06/22/the-great-pincushion-swap-2012/
    Katy x

    ReplyDelete