Wednesday, 20 June 2012

Chocolate Cupcakes

I've just spent the past few days staying with my best friend in Amersham.  However, after a very busy working weekend getting a chapter finalised I hadn't had time to bake any cakes to take with me.  Although I took some flowers, I felt that I should have cakes as well/instead - I'd been thinking about what I going to bake all week and decided on some Red Velvet ones with a chocolate and vanilla swirl icing - these will have to wait for another time!

So whilst she was out at work yesterday, I decided to whip up a batch of chocolate cupcakes - perfect excuse to try out a recipe from 'The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook' I'd spied on the bookshelf.  I have been looking at this recipe book FOR AGES and keep telling myself that I do not need yet another cake recipe book - this has now been revised and I shall be keeping my eyes peeled for a copy!

I made the basic Chocolate cupcakes, however, by following the recipe - whisk the butter into the dry ingredients until it looks like bread crumbs - meant that I covered every surface with a fine layer of cococa powder. I gave up in the end and added the milk and egg mixture, as I felt I was losing half my mixture to the kitchen! The mixture was very runny and didn't rise as much as I though it would - it was a good job that I was icing the cakes, as some didn't even get to the top of their case. I iced with a chocolate icing and then went crazy with the chocolate sprinkles.

Then it was time to wash up and tidy the kitchen with the cakes hidden under a tea towel until my friend arrived back from work - safe to say, the surprise cupcakes went down a treat and they were rather yummy too!

No comments:

Post a Comment