Saturday, 19 May 2012

Banana and Blueberry Muffins & Lemon Poppy Seed Drizzle Cake

Spending the evening with my mum always usually involves some baking. Yesterday evening was no different and I was ready for a baking marathon. Things didn't start well - my mum had some blueberries and wanted me to bake her some blueberry muffins. Problem was the only recipes that I could find contained natural yoghurt, which we didn't have. So after some hunting I found this recipe on the BBC Good Food site that looked promising, apart the fact it needed buttermilk. Area some deliberation we decided that we'd just use milk instead . . . Not the best idea we've ever had - the mixture looked fine, but when it came out of the oven the muffins had a strange springy uncooked texture. They're not going too be wasted and I'm sure with lashings of cream, ice cream or custard they will be okay. But they weren't suitable for the reason I'd started baking - for a bake sale donation - so it was on to the next cake. This one I knew was tried and tested, a lemon seed poppy cake. However, yet again ran into the difficulty of no yoghurt, quick changed of recipe and adding of poppy seeds to a lemon drizzle cake recipe, hopefully it worked! It didn't rise as much as I would of liked, but think that is due to the 2lb tin rather than the 1lb tin I usually use. I always find it hard to bake in a kitchen which isn't your own or where you haven't shopped for cake ingredients - I shall look forward to my baking next week for my uni friends in my own kitchen (Malteaser cake, cherry & almond cake are contenders at the moment!). So there we have my first kitchen disaster, I'm sure it won't be the last . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment